This is short presentation of Virtual Business Incubator Framework. I’ve constructed this model while I was working in CrowdSynergy startup with research group (Alex Krol, and others) in 2013. This model has interesting insights about business incubation and provides useful perspective. However, there are many problems that aren’t mentioned in the presentation about the VBI Framework.
- Lack of trust while working online (hard to motivate team, people learn faster when they can “touch” each other, etc)
- Investors prefer to invest within their local geographical boundaries (it’s easier to control the money. However, there is a crowdfunding and crowdinvesting trend).
- Not always transactional costs of incubating online could be lower than in the physical incubation or acceleration.
- The flows of capital are organized in funnel mode for humanity. Thus, spaghetti model is somehow uncommon. Therefore it’s idealistic.
- The culture is an issue while you are starting up. It’s becoming more evident when you work online.
- Project management, tracking and team work is much harder while working online.
Therefore after one year that have passed after issuing this model I strongly believe that the most effective and efficient model for business incubation could be a mix between accelerator and virtual business incubator that I’ve described here. The main arguments in short are:
- Online or virtual feature of business incubator will provide an entrepreneur with useful resources and structred content (think about Coursera for entrepreneurs) with mentors, experts and even crowd investors available online. This feature will allow to grow entrepreneurs.
- Physical accelerator is equally important because it will boost good performers even faster.
Later on I will provide users with the access to:
- Full version of presentation with detailed information.
- The 130 p. report with additional detail and related research that I hope will be of value to you as you learn about these topic.